Friday, September 11, 2020

WHY I'M LEAVING THE U.S....and Moving to Panama

by Gary Stamper

I’ve been writing about going to Panama for three or four months, now, but I've been dreaming about it longer than that. I’ve had several people who have asked “why Panama?”, but up until the last couple of weeks, no one has asked me why I’m leaving the U.S.

It's a great question!

It was my daughter Tanya who asked “why” a couple weeks ago.

I’ve been writing about collapse, climate change, broken systems, and political corruption in the U.S. and the world for a lot longer than the last few months, and well before the creation of this blog in early 2006. I’ve regularly attempted to call attention to the various aspects of collapse and how we can change ourselves, our communities, and the planet.

In the early days, this blog was consistently a journey of self-exploration,  primarily diving into the mind-expanding intricacies of Integral Theory and the developmental psychologies of Spiral Dynamics and later applied these concepts to my teaching and real-world events surrounding and fleshing them out.

In 2008 I wrote an article on this blog called “The S***'s Already Hit the Fan: Here Comes the Shift,” that said that we were entering a shift in thinking because of all the things that were happening – things like the collapse of the financial markets – and that the cognitive dissonance it created would force us into new ways of thinking, and that people would rise up and demand change.

I was wrong.

Around 2011, I began to talk about collapse in present tense even more as I began realizing we had passed the tipping point of climate change where nothing we could do was going to fix and reverse apocalyptic climate change and I could see that all systems - economic, government, and society, and climate - were breaking down as a result of what we had unleashed.

I also addressed these issues in my 2012 book, “Awakening the New Masculine: The Path of the Integral Warrior,” written to assist men in transitioning from the Mythopoetic to the Transpersonal level of development.

Later the same year, I penned an article called “There’s Something Seriously Wrong With Men In America,” which asked “Why haven’t we come to terms with the crisis of modern male immaturity or toxic masculinity?

In 2016, I created a massive website and forum called “Collapsing into Consciousness,” that covered every aspect of collapse I could think of. Much of it was based on my efforts around creating systems that would help me and my family and anyone else who could hear my message get through what was coming and is now happening.  We even tried to create and put into place the kind of local community, economy, food systems that we’ll need once the larger systems collapsed as they are now doing. I misjudged how many were interested and after three years of work, finally closed the website down.

For whatever reason, people just have not believed how bad it’s going to get as these systems continue to break down en masse. We’re getting a taste of it now as Covid-19 reveals how bad things are, as already broken systems have been further stressed and exposed, and we’re only now beginning to get a glimpse of how much worse it’s going to get.

Still, we remain in denial.

The U.S. has become a failed state, collapsing faster and faster into a third-world country where the only difference I see between the two candidates is how fast the collapse happens. One candidate is bad, and the other is very, very bad. I'll vote for the lesser because slow collapse is better than sudden collapse.

I’ve tried to warn others about the consequences of ignoring the problems we face, and some listened… most didn’t,  and,  as bad as 2020 has been, now things are - as I point out above -  about to get a lot worse.

A few days ago on September 10, 2020, Chris Hedges posted an article on Salon called “American Bloodlands: In a deeply polarized nation, mass violence is not far away.” Here’s a quote from the article:

“The tinder that could soon ignite widespread violent conflagrations throughout the United States lies ominously stacked around us. Millions of disenfranchised white Americans, who see no way out of their economic and social misery, struggling with an emotional void, are seething with rage against a corrupt ruling class and bankrupt liberal elite that presides over political stagnation and grotesque, mounting social inequality. Millions more alienated young men and women, also locked out of the economy and with no realistic prospect for advancement or integration, gripped by the same emotional void, have harnessed their fury in the name of tearing down the governing structures and anti-fascism. The enraged, polarized segments of the population are rapidly consolidating as the political center disintegrates. They stand poised to tear apart The United States, awash in military-grade weapons, unable to cope with the crisis of the COVID-19 pandemic and its economic fallout, cursed with militarized police forces that function as internal armies of occupation and de facto allies of the neofascists.”

Mind you, this is all happening amid a pandemic that is closing in on 200,000 U.S. deaths, while our connected economies collapse because of our greed,  ignorance, and incompetence, while wildfires rage out of control in much of the west due to climate change denial and our unwillingness to accept responsibility for modern civilization’s mismanagement of the qualities needed on this planet to sustain human life.

Last, as all this is unfolding before us as I’ve been predicting since 2006 when I “woke up’ to these possibilities amid scorn that ranged from being called a fear monger, to hearing “science will fix this” to “the aliens will rescue us” to “God won’t allow this to happen,” to the spiritual-bypassing of The Secret which claims we create our own reality,  it come down to we’ve never actually taken responsibility and the Sixth Great Extinction and the end of the “Anthropocene” is upon us.

A very real possibility is that while all of the above is happening, it will be impossible to properly decommission – it takes up to 10 years to deactivate one properly - the 400+ nuclear reactors on our planet, and that their meltdowns will result in our final demise even earlier.

Back to the question posed by my daughter at the beginning of this article: “Why am I leaving the United States?” which begs the question, why aren’t you? Millions of Americans are leaving. Ex-pats who may or may not give up citizenship, with the wealthy ones buying (fast!) or earning (takes a lot longer) a second citizenship which gives them a second passport and more freedom.

The government recognized this was happening years ago and put limits on how much people could take out of the country

For me, I don’t want to stay and watch this country as it descends further into chaos and civil war and the ensuing suffering, starvation, and destruction it will cause.  Again, the U.S. is a failed state and I’m as much to blame as anyone, growing up in White Privilege, and not “waking up” until my mid-fifties. I’ve tried and failed to set up conscious communities to….what? Put off the inevitable death from the Sixth Great Extinction?  We all die, and I feel immensely fortunate that I’ve never had to go to war or kill another human being and I don’t want to start now.

I’m leaving because I’m lucky and can and there’s nothing more I can do here. If you’re one of the very few people who will likely read this rant, I invite you to join me. Maybe not in Panama, because while the white sand and turquoise waters of Panama’s Little-Known Caribbean Gem Bocas Del Toro call to me, they may not call you, but If you can, get out. I hear Ecuador's nice and cheap!

Photos of Bocas Del Toro

I’m leaving because I still believe in possibilities, just not here.

I’m leaving because, even if there were better circumstances here, I can experience a better standard of living there than I can here.

I’m leaving because I’m 75 years old, in great health, I’ve had an amazing life, and I want to experience one last great adventure before I die.

I’ve spent a lot of time in the Caribbean and have always wanted to live there. Panama has a healthy economy, a stable government, no army, low taxes and no hurricanes or fires and is rated the number one retirement location in the world two years running according to International Living Magazine. Panama offers several generous Visa Programs to help ex-pats from all over the world make the move even more worthwhile.

Panama is scheduled to completely reopen to tourism and air travel by October 12th, and if that happens – I’m also prepared if they have the same results we’ve had while trying to reopen - I won’t be far behind. Friends and family? Come visit me in my Caribbean paradise!

I'll still be as close as social media and I'll probably still be ranting about injustice and corrupt politicians in the U.S. as I'm also writing about my move and my adventures which started with my Great American Pandemic Road trip.

I'll send you a digital postcard.







14 comments:

Keith Kjar said...

Good luck in your new adventure, Gary. My son-in-law was born & raised in Panama and is still a citizen of Panama. He and his sisters travel there nearly every year & he highly recommends Boca del Toro. If I decide to travel with him one of these years, I'll look you up. Take care & Stay Safe!

Keith Kjar

Unknown said...

Like your blog Gary. enjoy Panama. I doubt if I'll visit there but it is nice to keep in touch

Gary Stamper said...

Hey, Keith,
I'd love to see you when you come! Hopefully I'll have a band by then. Got my eye on a sweet little reggae band that needs a lead singer!
Gary

Diane Dyer said...

Gary, I am in a quandary about where I am to go. I never took out my American citizenship, mostly because I always thought I would go back to British Columbia. Now, I am thinking elsewhere, just not sure where yet. I'm 78, and like you, in very good health. Is it too late?? Thanks for your wisdom, and can't wait to hear updates when you arrive in your new home! You in a reggae band....yes!!! Much love to you.

Gary Stamper said...

Dearest Diane,

How did I not know that about you? No, I don't think it's too late if you don't! Do you know if there's a risk in contacting the U.S. embassy? You might start with the Canadian Embassy. I can point you in how to start thinking about where u might like to go, but my journey in a decision was a year-long and changed twice as I came to understand where and why I wanted to go to. Obtaining American citizenship has become much more difficult so you'll probably need to use your Canadian passport.

I mostly know about Panama as that' been my focus for several months but you could visit on your passport for 180 days. Let me know wht you're thinking and then let's talk.

G

Apollo Grace said...

You're my third friend to move there in recent years. (Actually, the second's still on hold - she sent her stuff along, closed out her NYC apartment, and was en route to Panama when they closed their borders to Americans. So she's been AirBnB'ing it in Miami for 6 months. Uff da. Hope she gets there soon.) Blessings on your journey; perhaps I'll see you down there someday.

One last favor - vote before you go? :)

Gary Stamper said...

Hey, Apollo!

How are you enjoying the more easterly part of North Carolina? I've missed you and the other men from the Cove.

Panama has a healthy ex-pat population and even in Bocas Del Toro, you could get by without any Spanish, but I think it's not only necessary but polite to get at least basic Spanish knowledge. I'll be trading my organic gardening skills for Spanish lessons when I get there from Habla Ya Spanish Shool in Bocas.

I'd enjoy welcoming you to Panama, perhaps along with your friend>

ASs for your last request, my ballot from CA is supposedly on its way if it doesn't fall victim to intentional election fraud.

Hugs to you and Amrita.

Much Love, my brother....

Venita Ramirez said...

Bon Voyage, Gary. I hope you will love it there. Yes, i can see you singing Reggae in the sun! Thanks for letting me know. Sending love!

Janet Smith Warfield said...

Dear Gary,

I know we know one another, but when and where did we meet?

I find your comments interesting, since I lived in the Boquete, Panama, area for 3 1/2 years from 2006 through 2010. After being robbed twice, flooded out once, being subjected to the greed and incompetence of Panamanian builders and losing $100,000 of hard-earned money as a result, being evicted from my rental home by a landlord who cared more about putting money in his pocket than he did about accountability, integrity, and contractual agreements, I fled Panama in early 2010 and returned to the States.

What I wrote above is only the tip of the iceberg. I can tell you horror story after horror story about things that happened to me, as well as to beautiful, high-integrity friends.

You soon learn that, as an American, you simply don't go into a Panamanian court to request redress for wrongs perpetrated on you by Panamanians. Witnesses are bribed to lie. Americans always lose, just because they are not native-born Panamanians.

Yes, the geography is gorgeous, and I also knew and know many high-integrity Panamanians. But I also know only too well the dark side of Panama. That includes Bocas del Toro.

All that having been said, I, too, am concerned about the increasing polarization in the States. Two years ago, anticipating the current situation, I obtained a permanent Panamanian residency. I still own property there. If the States starts self-destructing in civil war, Panama may be the better option.

If you want more information, PM me.

Janet Smith Warfield said...

And, BTW, on April 17, 2020, I filed Articles of Incorporation in the State of Florida for a new (501)(c)(3) educational foundation, Planetary Peace, Power, and Prosperity Legacy Foundation, Inc. I know how to manifest this. The solution is semantic. Want to join us?

Gary Stamper said...

Hi Dr.Janet... I'm a bit disappointed you don't remember where we met. Does Michael Wolff and our teleconferences ring a bell for you? We also had dinner in Asheville when you visited there about 4 years ago.
I know your comments about Panama are well-intentioned and offered in good spirit, and I'm sorry for your bad experiences, but I've had literally hundreds of conversations with Panamanian ex-pats who have nothing but good experiences living in Panama, and a small number who have been robbed and some who have been cheated by landlords... nothing that couldn't have happened in most areas of the U.S. Open any U.S. Paper, read crime statistics, and ask yourself if you'd move there. I already think Panama IS the better option... at least for me.
I appreciate your good work and hope to see you again when and if you return to Panama. Send me a link to your new 501(c)(3) when you have a website.
Big Love,
Gary

Gary Stamper said...

Hi Venita! I hope I'll love it there, too. It won't be without its challenges, of course. I'm renting for the first year and immediately immersing myself in volunteer activites to make friends. You and Madeleine should keep me in mind if you're looking for vacation options. I'd love to host you if I can!
Big Love,
g

Shauna Marshall said...

Hey Gary...Panama looks awesome, and leaving actually sounds pretty good, and as I sit here sucking smoke particles I am beginning to think tackling my lifelong fear of living next to the ocean (earthquakes and Tsunamis) might be better than what California has been going through for the past few fire seasons. I NEVER envisioned total collapse, but I have always felt it important to live close to the land and develop some survival skills. I wish you all the best!
Shauna

Gary Stamper said...

Hi Shauna.

I've been searching online for a place to live in Bocas del Toro and am more and more excited seeing the possibilities and ridiculously low rents. Go where your heart - and common sense - tells you.

My best to you!

Gary