Thursday, October 04, 2007

Integral Warriors: Week 2

As I move through the process of facilitating the men's group, Integral Warriors: Embodying the New Masculine, based on David Deida's book, The Way of the Superior Man, every meeting, every moment, is a learning experience. I'm not going to be able to write about what some of those experiences are, as it might compromise our vow of only sharing our own experiences with others outside the group.

The problem with being the facilitator is that much of my experience is wrapped up in how others show up.

That eight other men showed up for a second week was truly remarkable to me. Part of being in a men's group is learning how to give whatever our gifts are to the world, and I seem to have a gift. An undeveloped gift, to be sure, but a gift nonetheless.

Last night, over an after SeattleIntegral meeting drink with several SI members, one of the men who is in the men's group was telling others around the table how it is that I hold space for these men, how my wisdom and brave example of opening and telling my truth led the way for others to feel safe in doing the same. Very much appreciated, but I'm by no means the only one doing that.

To me, it's amazing how quickly these nine men are bonding. I shouldn't be surprised. I've seen it happen in mixed groups where shared altered states create a quick, and firm, bond. I've just not seen it done with men. Also, most men who are moving into later-stage consciousness just aren't able to have these kind of open conversations that push our edges with the other men in their lives.

This creates more love and freedom for myself, these men, and the world. It moves us through our fear and allows all us to begin to actualize our personal gifts to the world.

I am honored and humbled to hold space for these remarkable, brave men.

No comments: