Thursday, January 05, 2006

So what does it mean to Live an Integral Life? Well, there’s the obvious: Paying attention to Mind, Body, Heart, and Soul. And then there’s the not-so-obvious.

You may have heard people ask, “How do I apply integral theory? What does it look like in action?” Usually when people ask these questions, they’re usually asking about the big picture. They want to know how they can use this grand synthesis to rock the world, make positive changes on local, national, and global scales. We also want to see integral theory in action, so we can get a clearer idea of how others are modeling it, using it in their professional lives.

This seems perfectly natural to me. What could possibly be more important than changing the world, and seeing, understanding, and appreciating what others are doing to effect change?

How about changing our selves? I know, because I’ve experienced it, that we can get to a point where we have a new awareness and a realization of possibilities, but lack direction. We also may lack the knowledge of how to move to an integral perspective and how to apply it. You’re probably already reading and trying to improve your cognitive awareness and understanding of “integral.” You’re probably already meditating (and if you aren’t, you should be, as there are proven benefits).

But what else are you doing? Take a good, long, hard look at where some aspects of your life might need attention. How are you at relationships? Diet? Are you not playing enough because you’re working too hard? What about finances? Community?

Each of these, and everything else you’re doing, or not doing, falls into the AQAL frame work. The frame work already exists whether we use it or not - it’s up to each of us to make sure we’re paying attention. Once we consciously integrate these processes into our lives, we change our selves, and thereby, change the world.

My intention in this space is to examine my own integral practices, and my integral life: where am I lacking, what do I need to pay attention to, where are my shadows that stand in the way of my own evolution. I also want to honor my successes. It is also my hope that, by examining these parts to a whole, that others may find it valuable

No comments: