Friday, December 29, 2006

Living a Whole Life, One Part at a Time

The following is posted with permission from Molly Gordon. It appeared in her newsletter, Authentic Promotion, which I highly recommend.

I don't know about you, but trying to live a balanced life as a self-employed person has got me plumb wore out. (Or is that plum wore out? I suppose the spelling is not a terribly serious matter when using the vernacular.)

My friend jennifer Louden once remarked, "Balance is the new girdle." I agree. Balance has become, as so many good ideas do, a tyrant.

I love balance; don't get me wrong. I just don't experience it very often. And I've noticed repeatedly that life is better and I am kinder when I accept myself exactly as I am rather than spending hours pre-occupied with the way I think I ought to be.

So here's a question: If everything is perfect, and it is, why are we trying so hard? And what are we trying to do?

Here's my simple answer: We're trying to be whole. It's the most important thing in the world, and because we usually experience this wholeness in relatively small parts, we don't often realize that we're already there.

Wholeness doesn't look the way you might think. Wholeness is all of it - all of you - right here, right now. You may be completely, fabulously, rampantly crazed by the holidays or some other aspect of your life. You may be blessed out or in, swimming in a current of gratitude, praise the Lord! You may be heart broken or exalted; your checkbook may be balanced or in chaos. Whatever state you and your life is in, it is the state of Grace.

From Gary: In the post right below this one, you'll find Molly's 9 steppingstones to grace.


You can read Molly's blog at http://www.shaboominc.com/blog

No comments: